18 June, 2008

adventures in going raw...or the wonders of walnut meat.


i've been drawing great inspiration for transitioning to raw lately by submersing myself in great 'un'cook books like the fabulous RAWvolution by matt amsden, and wanted desperately to make a great raw dinner on the fly without having to put too much effort into the prep or process. it's a little overwhelming at first to adapt to a cuisine that tastes best with some pre-meditation [ie. soaking whole grains and nuts or sprouting seeds, and the like] or dehydrating for 24-36 hours before eating, but his cookbook is filled with enough off the cuff recipes to thrill even a happy kitchen geek like me.

i've yet to acquire an excellent food processor, so my tools were a little limited. but substituting my [usually adored] magic bullet mini-processor, i ground my walnuts [un-soaked] and followed the recipe to the letter, except for the substitution of tamari for nama shoyu. [i must make my weekly visit to my favorite local asian market for the right supplies].

sure enough.. i imagine the nama shoyu or braggs is essential, because the woody taste of the tamari was pretty overpowering, and the magic bullet more pulverized instead of chopped the walnuts...so the consistency left a bit to be desired, but my fast raw dinner was a pretty good quick eat after an hour of cycling home in the rain.






[how my walnut taco meat should have looked but didn't]
Ingredients

1½ cups raw walnuts, ground in food processor

1½ teaspoons ground cumin

¾ teaspoon ground coriander

2 teaspoons Nama Shoyu or Braggs Liquid Aminos

a pinch of cayenne

Preparation

Mix and serve. [pretty basic, eh?]

recipe courtesy of: gone raw

No comments:


Label Cloud